Haiti Mission Ministries
In 2002 our Saint Rose Haiti Mission Committee was formed. Our sister parish is Merci Parish in Robillard, Haiti. We were partnered with them through the Parish Twinning Program of the Americas (PTPA).This program has joined 350+ parishes in the United States and Canada with parishes in Haiti, the poorest country in the Western hemisphere. 100% of donations received are sent to Notre Dame Parish.
Haiti Mission Statement
We, the parish family of Saint Rose of Lima Catholic Church commit to answer God’s call by:
- supporting our Haitian brothers and sisters at Notre Dame de la Merci through prayers, financial assistance and personal encounters.
- becoming One In Christ by sharing faith, life experiences and cultures.
Goals and Purpose
We commit to Jesus’ command to take care of the poor. We provide opportunities to support our Haitian brothers and sisters at Notre Dame de la Merci in Haiti. We encourage those who are called to be missionaries to go to Haiti and share our faith. With these personal encounters and visits from the pastor in Haiti, we grow in the Spirit and are changed.
- Annual Spring Shipment (April/May): Find storage for collected items, prepare publicity, collect items to go to Haiti, help sort and pack items, help take boxes to the warehouse.
- Funding the Future (Summer): Provides tuition for school children, arrange publicity, mount pictures of children on display boards, collect donations, give pictures and certificates.
- Mission Trips: Sign up to go on a mission trip to Haiti, assist coordinators in obtaining needed items.
- Hospitality: Host visitors for lunch and supper, take visitors to interesting places and activities. Communications: Design posters, research and develop information for bulletins, contact newspaper and radio stations, create PowerPoint presentations, maintain a website.
- Committee Meetings: Attend meetings, share information. Recruit New Haiti Mission Committee Members: Through personal contact with parishioners. Food 4 Kids: Help raise interest in funding basic mid-morning meals to feed the children at the parish school (September – June). Volunteers are asked to attend meetings for 1-2 hours per month. If you are looking to develop humility, step right up! Together we do make a difference.
Haiti Update Aug 11
Daniel Tillias has long been a friend of St. Rose since 2004. Our Haiti Mission team hired him to be our translator whenever traveling to Haiti. Over all these last 15 years we knew of his work in the slum of the capital city called Cité Soleil. Remember last August? He spoke at all Masses at St Rose. He had helped us map out a plan to teach the school children how to raise food. He has been a great teacher for us! Now, it is exciting to see CNN recognize him as a hero of our times. "Many people in Haiti refer to Cité Soleil as the trash place where all the dumps are," Tillias said. "But ... I see these kids with potential, with wings ... waiting to fly. Waiting to be the next citizen that will change things in Haiti." And, he works hard to get a safe space in the neighborhood for young kids to be just children -- “not to see a dead body in the street, not to have to live with the constant shooting, not to have to see things that a little child should not be seeing," Tillias said. This Spring, CNN began the process again to find men and women throughout the world who are true heroes. Daniel Tillias is one of those named the top ten Heroes for 2019!! You can see his profile and the other 9 heroes on CNN Saturday evenings, International News. Check your server for channel and time. https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/01/world/cnnheroes-daniel-tillias-sakala/index.html
Fr. Andre Sylvestre email@example.com
Faith in Action
- 11 mission trips to Robillard
- Rose/Merci health clinic
- Funding the Future education sponsorship
- Renovation of buildings
- Living quarters for visitors
- Security wall around school compound
- 2 new school buildings (grammar & vocational)
- 12.5kw industrial diesel generator for electric power
- Clean water filtration system
- Annual shipment of goods to Notre Dame
- Satellite dish installed for internet service